AL KABSA THE NATIONAL DISH OF SAUDI ARABIA, I born in Saudi Arabia and I always remember when my mom used to make Kabsa for us or when people come over to visit.
It was so delicious and spicy. And the super spicy dipping sauce on the side called shattah. With the salsa on the side so amazing!! This recipe is made with chicken but it can be made with other meats like lamb as well.
The rice is beautifully spiced and the tender chicken literally falls off the bone. I loved this dish and I see why it is so popular.
Servings For : 4 – 6 People Prep time : 1 Hour
To boil the chicken:-
- 1 whole chicken cut into 6 pieces
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground caradamon
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups hot water or more to cover the chicken
To make the kabsa stock:-
- 2 fresh tomato chopped
- 2 large carrots shredded
- 4 cups chicken stock we made
- 1 jalapeño cut to half
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1-2 dry lime
- 2 cups basmati rice
- For topping:- • 1/4 cup raisins • 1/4 cup slivered almonds toasted
Kabsa Spice Mix:-
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 1/4 teaspoon ground green cardamoms
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Half teaspoon ground dried limes
- 1 stick Dried ginger •
- You can buy the Kabsa spices form the store Use 2 tablespoons if you have it.
To make the shatta:-
In your food processor add large soft red tomato, small onion 1 cloves garlic and 1 jalapeño mix it all together then add 1 lemon juice and salt to taste.
Add chicken pieces in to a large pot, cover with the boiling water then add onion & black pepper salt , 2 whole cloves,2 bay leaves 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon ground caradam. Cove And let it cook for 20 minutes.or until the chicken fully cooked.
Drain the chicken stock in another pot then place the chicken in to a baking dish to broil it later. we going to need 4 cups of the chicken stock that we made .
Add tomatoes, carrots, cloves, all the spices including the kabsa spice mixuture & salt and pepper, 1 stick cinnamon ,1-2 dry lime and 1 tablespoons tomato paste all to the pot of chicken stock, let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add the basmati rice to the kabsa stock that we made in step 3, cover the pot and let it cook for about 15 minutes, or until the rice fully cooked.
Place the chicken in the over and boil until the chicken brown.
In a small pan add 3 tablespoons oil then add your almonds and toast it then remove it and toast the raisins .
• now in your plate add the cooked rice top it with chicken then the toasted almond and raisins.
NOTE:- If you would like to make this recipe with meat you can use lamb chunks and fallow the Same steps.