Homemade baklava, baklava is a middle eastern dessert, baklava is a very special occasion dessert that we eat during the holidays, after breaking our fast for Ramadan or during big events with family. What makes this baklava recipe unique from other types of baklava is the aromatic simple syrup flavored with rose water.
What ingredients we need:-
- Phyllo sheets: Use the 9×14 package with one pound of phyllo split into 2 packages of 20 sheets.
- Clarified Butter or Ghee
- Walnuts: Walnuts are traditionally used to make the recipe, but you can use other types of nuts like pistachios, which are a very popular ingredients in Middle Eastern sweets.
- Simple Syrup: This is basically sugar cooked down with water to form a liquid sauce.
Servings For : 10 People Prep Time : 40 Minutes
How to make this beautiful baklava?
- Place a layer of phyllo pastry sheets in the bottom of a prepared and greased pan.
- Add the mixture of crushed walnuts and sugar evenly on top, smoothening out with a spatula.
- Add the rest of the phyllo sheets carefully on top.
- Cut into diamonds and pour over the clarified butter. Bake.
- 1 pound box of phyllo 9″x14″ sheets, room temperature.
- ¾ cup clarified butter or ghee.
For the Simple Syrup:-
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rose water
For the Filling Nuts:-
- 3 cups raw or roasted walnuts coarsely chopped in food processor
- ½ cup sugar
See More : Warbat Qishta ( Lebanese Shaabiyat )
Let’s make the simple syrup, combine the water, sugar, and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, stirring occasionally until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is thickened but still clear-colored, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat then add rose water, and set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, combine the walnuts and granulated sugar until well mixed. then sit aside.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Brush the bottom of your pan with clarified butter.
Lay one stack of 20 phyllo sheets in the pan. Remove about 1/3 of the other 20 stacks of phyllo sheets and lay them on top of the first stack. Spread the nuts mixture over the phyllo in one even layer. Lay the remainder of the second stack of about 10 phyllo sheets over the nuts.
Cut the baklava into diamonds by making 5 cuts lengthwise and 9 cuts crosswise on the diagonal, holding down the phyllo sheets with your other hand as you cut carefully.
Pour the melted clarified butter over the baklava evenly. Allow the butter to settle in, about 5 minutes.
Bake until golden brown all the way into the cut lines, about 40-50 minutes, rotating the baklava halfway through baking.
Remove the pan from the oven and immediately pour the cooled simple syrup evenly over the baklava. Allow cooling at room temperature for several hours before serving.