The perfect Caprese Salad recipe! Layered with juicy fresh tomatoes, creamy fresh mozzarella, deliciously flavorful fresh basil, and it’s finished with rich extra virgin olive oil and a mildly sweet and tangy balsamic glaze.
It’s perfect for the summer especially when you have your own garden and you have fresh tomato and basil. It’s unbelievably easy to make and only requires a handful of basic ingredients. And you can serve it as an appetizer or side dish. You can also make a Caprese with smaller tomato varieties, such as plum, Roma, cherry, grape, or Sungold. If you go that route, tear the mozzarella into smaller pieces so that every bite strikes the right balance of flavors. No matter how you prepare it, be sure to use the freshest whole-milk mozzarella you can find.
See More: Fattoush Salad Mediterranean Recipe
Caprese Salad Ingredients
- Fresh mozzarella: I like to buy the pre-sliced to make things go faster, just make sure it’s sliced about the thickness we are looking for here.
- Extra virgin olive oil: Don’t use standard refined olive oil, it should include the words “extra virgin.” This type of olive oil is less processed and has more flavor.
- Fresh tomatoes: I like to use vine-ripened tomatoes from the store, or of course garden-grown tomatoes are the best.
- Fresh basil: Avoid any basil that is dark and bruised. Look for vibrantly green leaves that aren’t wilting. I’m using fresh from my garden
- Balsamic vinegar: No need for crazy expensive balsamic vinegar here but do use something decent with a well-balanced flavor.
- Salt and pepper.
Servings For : 4 People Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- 3 medium vine-ripe tomato1/4-inch thick
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
Layer alternating slices of tomatoes and mozzarella, adding a basil leaf between each, on a large, shallow platter.
Drizzle the salad with extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. then add drizzle balsamic glaze on the top. Serve immediately.