Fatayer Zataar is most popular snacks in middle east and specially in Palestine and Lebanon.
Palestinian flat bread with Green thyme (oregano).
Wild zaatar oregano (Organum syriacum) is also called Lebanese oregano, Syrian oregano, Bible hyssop, holy hyssop and, simply, zataar or za’atar, though it’s not to be confused with the Middle Eastern seasoning of the same name. The leaves hint of oregano, marjoram and thyme, and have a strong, spicy flavor.
How to make Fatayer Zataar ?!
Servings For : 4 -6 People Prep Time : 35 Minutes
I’m using my fresh oregano from my garden, it’s spicy tasty and delicious.
For the dough:-
3 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 cup of olive oil
salt 1 tablespoons
1 1/3 cups of water
2 and 1/4 teaspoons yeast (1 standard pack)
3 cups fresh green thyme (zataar)
1 medium size onion diced
2 tbs sumac
black pepper 1/2 tsp
salt 1/2 tsp
4 tbs olive oil
First let’s make the dough, To make the dough:
Place the 1/2 cup of warm water in the large bowl or heavy duty stand mixer. Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water and sugar and let it sit for 5 minutes until the yeast is dissolved.
Add the flour, salt, and olive oil, mix for a minute. Then add the rest of water slowly( The dough should be a little sticky, or tacky to the touch. If it’s too wet, sprinkle in a little more flour, and if it’s dry add more Water).
Let the dough rise: Spread a thin layer of olive oil over the inside of a large bowl. Place the dough in the bowl and Cover the dough with plastic wrap. (Leave it in the warm place) and let it rise for 1 hours Meanwhile let’s make the filling:-
1. To make the filling you need fresh oregano washed clean and dry. Take off the Zaatar out of the branches and wash it until water clean.
2. In a large bowl chopped onion very small.
3. Add the chopped oregano .
4. Add salt pepper and sumac if u like it spicy add some chili powder. Sit aside.
5. In a big tray that is brushed with olive oil, divide the dough into 8 equal sized balls.
6. Brush a little olive oil on top of a clean surface and start rolling out each ball into very thin squares.
7. Spread a tablespoons of the thyme ( Zataar ) mixture in the middle and top.
8. Fold the dough just like showing in the pictures, Keep repeating the same procedure with all the balls.
9. Place them in your preheated oven, Bake in the middle rack of the preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. It’s great idea for breakfast lunch or dinner with a cup of tea .
Fatayer Zataar Recipe by photos.