Let’s make the perfect Indian samosa At home, These are filled with a spicy potato filling and are also vegan.
Can I Freeze The Samosa?
Yes! Once the samosa is filled and shaped, placed them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the baking sheet into the freezer for couple of hours until samosas are firm. Then transfer to a freezer bag and freeze.
See More: Butter Chicken ( Masala ) Recipe
Can I Bake The Samosa?
Yes! Brush the samosas with oil and then bake at 350 F degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until browned.
Servings For: 4-6 People Prep Time: 2 Hour
For the dough;-
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon oil + 5 ml
- water to knead the dough, around 6 tablespoons or more.
- 3-4 medium potatoes peeled and chopped
- 2-3 medium carrots chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons crushed coriander
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- oil for frying
See More: Beef Samosas Easy Recipe
- Start by making the samosa dough. To a large bowl, add flour, carom seeds, cumin seeds, salt and mix well.
- Add the oil and then start mixing with your fingers. Rub the flour with the oil until the oil is well incorporated in all of the flour. Do this for 3 minutes, you don’t want to rush this step. Once incorporated, the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Press some flour between your palm- it should form a shape (& not crumble) – means oil is enough and well incorporated.
- Now, start adding water, little by little, and mix to form a stiff dough. Don’t overwork the dough and don’t knead a soft dough. It should just come together and form a stiff dough. I used around 6 tablespoons of water here.
- Cover the dough with a moist cloth and let it rest for 40 minutes. Now let’s work on the filling.
Make the potato filling:-
- Boil the chopped potatoes until done. 5 minutes on high heat.
- In your skillet on medium heat add oil then add the chopped onion, let it cook for about 2-3 minutes then add the cumin seeds,1 teaspoon fennel, seeds,2teaspoons crushed coriander,1 teaspoon coriander powder,1/4 teaspoon red chili powder, and salt. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 more tablespoons oil then your chopped potato, carrots, and frozen peas cover and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
- Once it’s all well incorporated, remove the pan from heat and let the filling cool down a bit.
Shape the Samosa:-
- Once the dough has rested, give it a quick knead. Then divide the dough into 7 equal parts. Start working on a piece of dough, keep the remaining dough balls covered at all times with a moist cloth else the dough will dry out.
- Roll one dough ball into a circle-oval kind of shape, around 6-7 inches in diameter, and then cut it into two parts.
- Take one part and apply water on the straight edge/side. I usually mix some flour with water so that it forms a nice glue. Now bring the two of the straight edge together and pinch them to form a cone. See the step-by-step pictures above for a better idea. Pinch the pointed ends to make it a perfect cone shape.
- Fill the samosa with the potato filling, around 1 to 2 tablespoons. Don’t overfill the samosa.
- Now again apply water all around the circumference of the cone as you have to seal it. Pinch the opposite side (the side opposite to where you pinched to form the cone) Then pinch the edges and seal the samosa.
- Your samosa is now ready. Repeat the same process with the remaining dough. Always remember to keep the filled samosa covered with a moist cloth while roll and fill the others. You will get 14 samosas.
Fry the Samosa:-
- Now heat oil in a pot on low heat. To check if the oil is ready, drop a small piece of dough into the oil. It should take few seconds to come up to the surface. That means the oil is ready. Drop the shaped samosas into the oil.
- Fry on low heat. After around 10-12 minutes, the samosa will become firm and light brown in color, At this point, increase the heat to medium and fry until it gets nicely browned.